Birding MT, WY and UT
Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and the Salt Lake City area
August 9-21 2015
American White Pelican
Brewer's Blackbird (m)
Brewer's Blackbird (f)
Eurasian Collared Dove
Other Perspectives on Species Already Showcased Above (in the order of the pictures):
- Magpie in berries; Here's a Magpie in sunlight;
This one's got a morsel.
- Sage Thrasher Antelope Island, UT
- Pelicans in flight over the Snake River during our sunset float trip.
- Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Jackson Visitor Center, WY
- Vesper Sparrow on the trail at the Bear River Visitor Center, UT
- Chukar, Antelope Island Visitor Center trail.
- Bald Eagle calling; Eagles abounded on our two float trips (Yellowstone River 11 a.m. departure, and Snake River sunset)
- Osprey. I had multiple osprey photo ops in all three states.
- American Dipper on tippy toes;
Dipper dipping, on Mill Creek near Chico Springs MT.
- Western Grebe with young, one attempting to ride. Bear River, UT;
This youngster is more securely aboard
- Black-necked Stilt showing off; Stilts feeding.
- Eurasian_Collared Dove, photographed while walking Scout in Park City UT.
- White-faced Ibis (not in breeding plumage) at Framington Bay, UT
- American Avocets and one Franklin's Gull; Avocet still in breeding plumage Aug 19.
- Phalaropes swimming (I don't know if they are Wilson's or Red-necked); by the dozen
(This is a mixed flock of Wilson's and Red-necked Phalaropes); by the hundreds.
A Sampling of Other Bird Species Sighted (in taxonomic order):
- Wood Duck pair, Farmington Bay, UT
- American Wigeon
- Northern Shoveler in WY; in MT; Shovelers in flight
- Green-winged Teal with Snipe and Mallard, Grand Teton National Park
- Common Mergansers were common in MT and WY; This Merganser's ashore.
- Ruddy Duck
- Great Blue Heron--I photographed GBHs in all three states.
- Snowy Egret I only got Snowy Egret at Bear River in UT.
- Turkey Vultures on the ground, Rockport State Park, UT
- Killdeer an Mamouth Hot Springs. I had Killdeer in all three states.
- Spotted Sandpiper, Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, UT
- Franklin's Gull
- Ring-billed Gull
- California Gulls have dark irises.
- Western Kingbird
- Tree Swallow
- Bank Swallow
- Cliff Swallow
- Barn Swallow
- House Wren
- Mockingbird.I only photographed one, on Antelope Island, UT
- Cedar Waxwing
- Yellow-rumped Warbler at the Visitor Center trail, Jackson, WY.
- House Finch, Park City, UT
Multiple Avian Species in the Same Frame:
I photographed 71 identifiable avian species, and in addition I have a folder of photos I have not yet identified, and probably never will. This was my first birding trip without Herman. Furthermore, this was a sightseeing and visiting trip every bit as much as a birding trip.
- California Gull with smaller Franklin's Gull, Antelope Island causeway, UT
- Franklin's Gull, Wilson's Phalarope, and Eared Grebe;
- American White Pelican and Double-crested Cormorant, Bear river, UT
- Black-necked Stilts in flight and and Eared Grebe afloat, UT
- American Avocets and a Black-necked Stilt
- American Avocets, Long-billed Curlew, and Black-necked Stilt, A.I. causeway
- Pelicans and Franklins's Gulls, Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge
- Bison with young
- Elk mother and fawn, Yellowstone National Park
- Deer mother and fawn
- Mule Deer Chico Hot Springs, MT
- Pronghorn, Lamar Valley, Yellowstone
- Moose, Yellowstone
- Beaver, Snake River, WY
- Ground Squirrel near Chico, MT
- Lizard Antelope Island, UT
- Monarch Butterfly, Bear River Visitor Center trail, UT
- Green Dragonfly, Bear River Visitor Center, UT
- Red Dragonfly, Bear River Visitor Center, UT
Top of this page
Non-avian aspects of this trip.
Birding Massachusetts 2014
Birding Massachusetts 2013
Birding Massachusetts 2012
Birding Massachusetts 2011
Birding Massachusetts 2010
Birding Nantucket, annually, at New Year's
Birding Phoenix 2018
Birding San Diego, Tecate MX, and the Salton Sea August, 2017
Birding Ireland 2016
Birding Hawaii 2011
Birding Arizona 2010
Birding Southern Utah 2009
Birding Guatemala 2008
Birding Mexico 2007
Birding South Florida 2006
Birding Texas 2005
Birding Panama 2005
Birding Belize 2002
Birding Colorado 2001
Birding Ecuador 1999
Birding Trinidad 1998
Birding Peru June 1995
Herman's Birding Page
Herman's Home Page
Eva's Home Page
Feedback may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
This page has been accessed times since October 14, 2015
Last revised: February 11, 2018