Eliot's notes to The Waste Land
Presented here is the full list of notes that Eliot included with The Waste Land.
Each can also be accessesed by selecting the poem's "Eliot" links.
This page is
available in either the
or in the
- The Burial of the Dead
- 20) Out of this stony rubbish? Son of man,
- 23) And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,
- 31) Frisch weht der Wind
- 42) Oed' und leer das Meer.
- 46) With a wicked pack of cards. Here, said she,
- 60) Unreal City,
- 63) I had not thought death had undone so many.
- 64) Sighs, short and infrequent, were exhaled,
- 68) With a dead sound on the final stroke of nine.
- 74) 'Oh keep the Dog far hence, that's friend to men,
- 76) 'You! hypocrite lecteur!--mon semblable,--mon frère!'
- The Fire Sermon
- 176) Sweet Thames, run softly, till I end my song.
- 192) And on the king my father's death before him.
- 196) But at my back from time to time I hear
- 197) The sound of horns and motors, which shall bring
- 199) O the moon shone bright on Mrs. Porter
- 202) Et, O ces voix d'enfants, chantant dans la coupole!
- 210) Unshaven, with a pocket full of currants
- 218) I Tiresias, though blind, throbbing between two lives,
- 221) Homeward, and brings the sailor home from sea,
- 253) When lovely woman stoops to folly and
- 257) 'This music crept by me upon the waters'
- 264) Of Magnus Martyr hold
- 266) The river sweats
- 279) Elizabeth and Leicester
- 293) Highbury bore me. Richmond and Kew
- 307) To Carthage then I came
- 308) Burning burning burning burning
- 309) O Lord Thou pluckest me out
- Death by Water
- Eliot did not have any notes for Part IV
Exploring The Waste Land
File date: Sunday, September 29, 2002