These instructions will set up a Windows XP, Vista, or 7
computer to dial The World, using PPP. If you are
using an older version of Windows you will need instructions for that version.
We also have more detailed instructions for Windows XP/Vista/7
(in text form). If you need further help,contact Technical Support.
Note: You must use a Computer Administrator account to
create or modify dial-up connections.
1. From the Start menu, select Control Panel.
2. In the Control Panel, select Network and Internet
Connections (shown below.) These instructions will set
up a Windows XP computer to dial The World, using PPP.
3. Select "Set up or change your internet connection"
4. In the Internet Properties window, under the "Connections"
tab, select "Setup"
5. The first screen is simply a welcoming screen.
6. Select "Connect to the Internet". Click "Next".
7. Select "Set up my connection manually".
8. Select "Connect using a dial-up modem".
9. Name the connection, as shown below. You can name it
"The World" or anything else you prefer. Click "Next".
10. Enter the World modem access number you use,
including area code and any prefixes.
(You can find a local number with the blue form below.)
11. Enter your World firstname.lastname@example.org and
password in the "User name" and "Password" boxes
respectively (shown below.) Here, "theworld.com"
must be lowercase. If you do not enter your password now,
you will need to enter it when you actually connect.
Take the check mark out of the box labeled
"Make this the default Internet Connection".
12. Put a check mark in the box labeled
"Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop".
13. The icon for the new connection should now appear
on your desktop. Double-click on it to open the
Connect window. (The Connect window may pop up automatically.)
Enter your password if it isn't already entered.
Have the option to save the password checked or
unchecked according to your preference.
Click "Dial" to connect.
14. Once connected, a small connection icon will be displayed
in the right side of the Taskbar tray at the bottom of the
screen. To disconnect, right-click the connection icon and
click "Disconnect". (The connection icon looks like two
To disconnect click the connected icon and a menu
offering to "Disconnect" should appear, choose that
While connected, you should be able to use any Web browser
(such as Internet Explorer or Firefox.)
Troubleshooting: If you are having trouble getting
connected, or your Web browser doesn\'t appear to be working,
please refer to the troubleshooting steps in the Detailed Set-Up Instructions or contact technical support.
Mail and news settings: You will need to set up mail
and possibly other settings in any programs you use for mail,
as shown below.
Mail & Usenet/News settings
(for sending outgoing mail):
You may use either POP or IMAP to retrieve mail.
Pick the one that your mail software uses. If it offers both
then choose IMAP, it is more modern and powerful.
Your account name by itself (with no "@TheWorld.com".)
Exception: If you\'re using an old version of Eudora Light,
Your account name by itself
(with no "@TheWorld.com".)
NNTP (news/Usenet) server:
If the news/Usenet program needs to know
whether this server
requires authentication, it does: Yes